The most common symptoms of weak eyesight are blurry vision, frequent headaches and watery eyes.
Be sure to consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. At times, eye problems can be caused by serious issues like glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts and optic neuropathy.
Weak eyesight is usually corrected with prescription glasses, lenses or even surgery. But these are NOT as effective as they seem… and may even do severe damage to your eyes.
However, You can try some natural home remedies to help improve your eyesight with no side effects whatsoever.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for weak eyesight.
1. Eye Exercises
Eye exercises make your eye muscles more flexible, and bring energy and blood flow to the eyes to maintain optimal vision. Regular eye exercises combat eye strain and also improve focus as well as concentration.
Here are few exercises to improve your eyesight:
Hold a pencil at an arm’s length and focus on it. Slowly bring it closer to your nose and then move it farther from your vision until you can no longer keep it in focus. Repeat about 10 times a day.
Roll your eyes in the clockwise direction for a few seconds, and then roll them counter-clockwise for a few seconds. Repeat four or five times, blinking your eyes in between each set.
Try eyelid fluttering by blinking your eyes 20 to 30 times rapidly and repeatedly, without squeezing your eyes shut. Finally, close your eyes and let them rest. You can also try palming, which is described below. Do this twice daily.
Concentrate your vision on a distant object for a while. The best way to do this without straining your eyes is to look at the moon and focus on it for three to five minutes daily.
Perform one or more of these eye exercises on a regular basis, at least for a few months, to get encouraging results.
2. Sunning and Palming
Sunning and palming are also beneficial for eyes as these methods help reactivate and flex the eye lens and ciliary muscles.
Sunning will provide the benefit of the sun’s healing abilities and palming will promote relaxation and a sense of well-being. According to Chinese culture, the sun contains vital life energies that are critical to the health of the eyes as well as the overall body.
- For sunning, allow the sun to shine directly on your closed eyelids while breathing deeply. Do this once daily for a few minutes, followed by palming.
- For palming, rub your palms together to generate heat and then gently cup your palms over your closed eyes without applying pressure on the eyes. Make sure to cover your eyes completely so there is no trace of light. Do this several times daily while visualizing a pleasant scene.
According to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), malfunctioning or diseases in the eyes are often closely related to the liver and kidneys. There are various acupressure/acupuncture points around the orbits of the eyes, which are the bones that surround the eyeballs.
- Massage each of the acupressure points around the orbits of your eyes gently for five to 10 seconds. Start from point #1 shown in the image above and go up and outward massaging each distinct point. You can do this several times daily.Note: If you are pregnant, consult a trained acupuncturist before trying this therapy. Also, do not massage areas with scars, burns or infection.
- Walking barefoot on grass in the morning dew for about 30 minutes is also considered an acupuncture method to help improve eyesight as it activates the nerve fibers connected to your feet. There are reflexology pressure points for the eyes on the second and third toes. Plus, the green color of the grass is soothing for the eyes.
4. Forever Vision
Forever vision improves circulation and eye blood flow. In addition to improving your vision, it protects against problems like glaucoma and macular degeneration. Early research suggests that it may also benefit people with retinopathy.
Forever Vision is also known to relieve anxiety and improve memory and thinking, especially in those suffering from dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
With just 2 tablets per day, Forever Vision™ is an easy way to help you keep looking clearly into the future!
Note: This herb should not be given to children.
Bilberry is another popular herb for vision and eye heath. It can also help improve night vision as it stimulates the regeneration of the visual purple component of the retina. However, Billberry is also found in Forever Vision.
Plus, it protects against macular degeneration, glaucoma and cataracts. It is also good for retinal problems related to diabetes or high blood pressure as it is high in a chemical called anthocyanoside that has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Eat about one-half cup of ripe bilberry fruits daily.
- You can also take bilberry supplements, after consulting your doctor. Generally, it is advised to take 160 mg of bilberry extract (with 25 percent anthocyanidin) two times a day, a few times a week.
Note: As this herb may interact with other herbs and medications, consult your doctor before taking it.
Almonds are also great for improving vision because of their rich omega-3 fatty acid, vitamin E and antioxidant content. They also help enhance memory and concentration.
- Soak 5 to 10 almonds in water overnight.
- The next morning, peel the skin and grind the almonds.
- Consume this paste with a glass of warm milk.
- Do this daily for at least a few months.